Abutilon (Dongk uizi)
Pharmaceutical Name: Semen Malvae
Botanical Name: Malva verticillata L.
Common Name: Abutilon seed
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao
Part Used: After the fruit ripens in summer
or autumn, the seeds are gathered and ground
Natural Properties & Taste: Sweet and cold
Meridians: Large intestine and small intestine
1. To promote urination and regulate abnormal
2. To promote lactation;
3. To moisten intestines and move feces
1. Dysuria and edema. Abutilon (Dongkuizi)
is used with Poria (Fuling) and White atractylodes
2. Scanty urine with blood and painful urination.
Abutilon (Dongkuizi) is used with Plantain
seed (Cheqianzi), Lygodium spores (Haijinsha)
and Talc (Huashi).
3. Obstructed lactation and breast distension.
Abutilon (Dongkuizi) is used with Amomum fruit
(Sharen) and Ricepaper pith (Tongcao).
4. Constipation. Abutilon (Dongkuizi) is
used with herbs that moisten intestines and
move feces, such as Chinese angelica root
(Danggui), Peach seed (Taoren) and Arborvitae
Dosage: 9-15 g