Dragon's blood (Xuejie)
Pharmaceutical Name: Sanguis Draconis
Botanical Name: Daemonorops draco Bl.
Common Name: Calamus gum, Dragon's blood
Source of Earliest Record: Xinxiu Bencao
Part Used: The red resinous secretion from
the fruit and stem is collected during the
summer. It is heated or steamed into a solid
resin, then pounded into powder.
Natural Properties & Taste: Sweet, salty and
Meridians: Heart and liver
1. To stop bleeding and promote the healing
2. To invigorate blood and remove stagnation;
3. To stop pain
1. Hemorrhages due to external injuries. Dragon's
blood (Xuejie) can be taken alone for external
use, or it can be combined with Cattail pollen
2. Chronic ulcers. Dragon's blood (Xuejie)
is used with Frankincense (Ruxiang) and Myrrh
(Moyao) for external use.
3. Swelling and pain due to blood stagnation
caused by external injuries. Dragon's blood
(Xuejie) is used with Frankincense (Ruxiang)
and Myrrh (Moyao) in the formula Qili San.
Dosage: 1-1.5 g in pill form
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb
is contraindicated in the absence of signs
of blood stagnation.