/Horny goat weed
Pharmaceutical Name: Herba Epimedii
Botanical Name: 1. Epimedium koreanum Nakai;
2. Epimedium sagittatum (Sieb. et Zucc.) Maxim.;
3. Epimedium brevicornum Maxim.; 4. Epimedium
Common Name: Epimedium
Source of Earliest Record: Haiyao Bencao
Part Used: The aerial part of the herb
is gathered in spring and autumn, dried in
the sun and cut into pieces.
Natural Properties & Taste: Pungent, sweet
Meridians: Liver and kidney
• Excellent herbal aphrodisiac
• Increases sexual desire
• Strengthens the Yang-energy.
• Invigorates the kidneys to stop impotence, female sterility and frequent urination.
• Strengthens the tendons and bones.
• Expels wind-dampness.
• Eliminates phlegm.
• Relives cough and asthma.
1. Deficient kidney yang manifested as impotence,
weakness of the lower back and knees and frequent
urination. Epimedium (Yinyanghuo) is used
with Curculigo rhizome (Xianmao) and Prepared
rehmannia root (Shudihuang).
2. Cold pain in the lower back and knees
and numbness of limbs due to obstruction by
invasion of wind-cold-damp. Epimedium (Yinyanghuo)
is used with Clematis root (Weilingxian),
Eucommia bark (Duzhong) and Cinnamon twigs
Dosage: 10-15 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb
is contraindicated in cases with deficiency
of yin with excessive fire.