Pharmaceutical Name: Succinus
Botanical Name: Pinus spp.
Common Name: Amber, Succinus
Source of Earliest Record: Mingyi Bielu
Part Used: The brownish fossil resin is taken from a pine tree which has been buried underground for a long time. It is then ground into powder.
Natural Properties & Taste: Sweet and neutral
Meridians: Heart, liver and urinary bladder
1. To calm and tranquilize the mind.
2. To invigorate the blood and release stagnation.
3. To promote urination.
1. Infantile convulsions and epilepsy. Amber (Hupo) is used with Centipede (Wugong) and Scorpion (Quanxie).
2. Palpitations, insomnia and dream-disturbed sleep. Amber (Hupo) is used with Wild jujube seed (Suanzaoren) and Multiflower knotweed (Yejiaoteng).
3. Dysmenorrhea or amenorrhea due to blood stagnation. Amber (Hupo) is used with Chinese angelica root (Danggui), Zedoary (Ezhu) and Lindera root (Wuyao) in the formula Hupo San.
4. Urinary tract disorders manifested as frequent urination, painful urination, bloody urine or calculus formation in the urinary tract. Amber (Hupo) is used with Lysimachia (Jinqiancao), Clematis stem (Mutong) and Imperata rhizome (Baimaogen).
Dosage: 1.5-3 g (powder form)
Cautions & Contraindications: This substance is used in powder and pills, not in decoctions.