Areca seed (Binglang)
Pharmaceutical Name: Semen arecae
Botanical Name: Areca cathechu L.
Common Name: Areca seed, Betel nut
Source of Earliest Record: Mingyi Bielu
Part Used: The seeds from the ripe fruit are collected in winter or spring. They are dried in the sun, soaked in water and cut into slices.
Natural Properties & Taste: Pungent, bitter and warm
Meridians: Stomach and large intestine
1. To kill parasites.
2. To promote qi circulation;
3. To promote water metabolism
1. Parasites in the intestines (especially tapeworm). Areca seed (Binglang) is used with Pumpkin seed (Nanguazi).
2. Retention of food with abdominal distension and constipation or tenesmus in dysentery. Areca seed (Binglang) is used with Costus root (Muxiang), Bitter orange (Zhiqiao) and Rhubarb (Dahuang) in the formula Muxiang Binglang Wan.
3. Edema. Areca seed (Binglang) is used with Poria peel (Fulingpi) and Alismatis rhizome (Zexie).
4. Swollen and painful legs. Areca seed (Binglang) is used with Chaenomeles fruit (Mugua), Evodia fruit (Wuzhuyu) and Perilla leaf (Zisuye).
5. Side-effect of vomiting caused by intake of the herb Dichroa root (Changshan). Areca seed (Binglang) used with Dichroa root (Changshan) can lessen the latter’s side-effect.
Dosage: 10-15 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb is contraindicated in a person with weakness of the spleen accompanied by diarrhea.