Pharmaceutical Name: Herba Menthae
Botanical Name: Mentha haplocalyx Briq.
Common Name: Mentha, Peppermint
Source of Earliest Record: Xinxiu Bencao
Part Used & Method of Pharmaceutical Preparations: The entire plant, including leaves, is gathered in any season. The leaves can be picked two or three times each year, dried in a shady place and then cut into pieces.
Natural Properties & Taste: Pungent and cool
Meridians: Lung and liver
1. To disperse wind-heat and clear the head and eyes.
2. To promote liver qi, allowing it to flow freely.
3. To bring rashes to the surface.
1. Wind-heat exterior syndrome manifested as fever, headache, mild aversion to wind and cold, sore throat and red eyes. Mentha (Bohe) is used with Platycodon root (Jiegeng), Arctium fruit (Niubangzi) and Chrysanthemum flower (Juhua).
2. Early stage of measles with slight rash. Mentha (Bohe) is used with Arctium fruit (Niubangzi) and Pueraria root (Gegen).
3. Stagnation of qi in the liver manifested as a full sensation and pain in the chest and costal region. Mentha (Bohe) is used with White peony root (Baishao) and Bupleurum root (Chaihu) in the formula Xiaoyao San.
Dosage: 2-10 g