Red peony (Chishao)
Pharmaceutical Name: Radix Paeoniae Rubra
Botanical Name: 1. Paeonia lactiflora pall.. 2. Paeonia veitchii Lynch
Common Name: Red peony root
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used: The roots are dug in autumn. After the fibrous roots and rough bark have been removed, the roots are dried in the sun, soaked in water and cut into slices.
Natural Properties & Taste: Bitter and slightly cold
1. To clear heat and cool blood.
2. To remove stagnant blood and reduce swelling.
Indications & Combinations:
1. Febrile diseases in which exogenous pathogenic heat enters into the nutritive and blood levels manifested as maculopapule, vomiting with blood, epistaxis, and deep red tongue proper. Red peony (Chishao) is used with Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang) and Moutan bark (Mudanpi).
2. Blood stagnation manifested as dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, acute inflammation with red swelling and pain from external injury. Red peony (Chishao) is used with Chuanxiong rhizome (Chuanxiong), Chinese angelica root (Danggui), Peach seed (Taoren) and Safflower (Honghua).
3. Boils, carbuncles and furuncles. Red peony (Chishao) is used with Honeysuckle flower (Jinyinhua) and Forsythia fruit (Lianqiao).
Dosage: 3-10 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb should not be combined with Black false bellebore (Lilu).