Scutellaria root (Huangqin)
Pharmaceutical Name: Radidx Scutellariae
Botanical Name: Scutellaria baicalensis Georgi
Common Name: Scutellaria root, Scute, Skullcap
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used: The roots are dug in spring or autumn. The fibrous roots are removed and dried in the sun.
Natural Properties & Taste: Bitter and cold
Meridians: Lung, gall bladder, stomach and large intestine
1. To clear heat and dry dampness.
2. To reduce fire and release toxins.
3. To stop bleeding and calm fetus.
1. Damp-heat syndromes: a) damp-heat febrile diseaseScutellaria root (Huangqin) is used with Talc (Huashi) and Rice paper pith (Tongcao). b) jaundiceScutellaria root (Huangqin) is used with Capejasmine (Zhizi), Oriental wormwood (Yinchenhao) and Bamboo leaf (Zhuye). c) dysentery or diarrheaScutellaria root (Huangqin) is used with Coptis root (Huanglian). d) boils, carbuncles and furunclesScutellaria root (Huangqin) is used with Honeysuckle flower (Jinyinhua) and Trichosanthes root (Tianhuafen).
2. Cough due to heat in the lungs. Scutellaria root (Huangqin) is used with Mulberry bark (Sangbaipi) and Anemarrhena rhizome (Zhimu).
3. Hemorrhage due to heat in the blood manifested as vomiting with blood, epistaxis, hematuria and uterine bleeding. The carbonized Scutellaria root (Huangqin) is prepared and used with Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang), Imperata rhizome (Baimaogen) and Biota tops (Cebaiye).
4. Threatened abortion (restless fetus). Scutellaria root (Huangqin) is used with Chinese angelica root (Danggui) and White atractylodes (Baizhu).
Dosage: 3-10 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb is contraindicated in cases with deficiency cold of the spleen and stomach. The raw herb is used to calm the fetus by clearing heat, the herb stir-baked in wine is used to stop bleeding, and the carbonized herb clears heat in the upper jiao.