Dalbergia wood (Jiangxiang)
Pharmaceutical Name: Lignum Dalbergiae Odoriferae
Botanical Name: Dalbergia odorifera T. Chen
Common Name: Dalbergia wood
Source of Earliest Record: Haiyao Bencao
Part Used: The heart wood of dalbergia odorifera is sawed into small pieces, then dried in the shade.
Natural Properties & Taste: Pungent and warm
Meridians: Heart and liver
1. To invigorate blood and remove stagnation.
2. To stop bleeding and pain.
3. To conduct qi downward and resolve turbid dampness
1. Qi and blood stagnation manifested as stifling sensation in the chest and hypochondriac pain. Dalbergia wood (Jiangxiang) is used with Curcuma root (Yujin), Pilose asiabell root (Dangshen), Peach seed (Taoren) and Vegetable sponge (Sigualuo).
2. Swellings and pains due to external injuries. Dalbergia wood (Jiangxiang) is used with Frankincense (Ruxiang) and Myrrh (Moyao).
3. Interior turbid dampness with vomiting and abdominal pain. Dalbergia wood (Jiangxiang) is used with Agastache (Huoxiang) and Costus root (Muxiang).
4. Hemorrhage and pain due to external injuries. Dalbergia wood (Jiangxiang) can be used alone, externally.
Dosage: 3-6 g. 1-2 g for powder