Eagle wood (Chenxiang)
Pharmaceutical Name: Lignum Aquilariae resinatum
Botanical Name: 1. Aquilaria agallocha Roxb.. 2. Aquilaria sinensis (Lour.) Gilg
Common Name: Aquilaria, Eagle wood
Source of Earliest Record: Mingyi Bielu
Part Used: The heart-wood, or resinous wood, is dried in a shady place, then sawn into powder.
Natural Properties & Taste: Pungent, bitter and warm
Meridians: Spleen, stomach and kidney
1. To regulate qi and stop pain.
2. To descend the perverse qi and stop vomiting.
3. To strengthen the kidneys and stop asthma.
Indications & Combinations:
1. Cold and qi stagnation manifested as epigastric and abdominal distension and pain. Eagle wood (Chenxiang) is used with Lindera root (Wuyao) and Costus root (Muxiang).
2. Cold in the stomach manifested as belching and vomiting. Eagle wood (Chenxiang) is used with Cloves (Dingxiang) and Round cardamom seed (Baidoukou).
3. Asthma due to failure of the kidneys in receiving qi. Eagle wood (Chenxiang) is used with Prepared aconite root (Fuzi) and Cinnamon bark (Rougui).
Dosage: 1-1.5 g