Forsythia fruit (Lianqiao)
Pharmaceutical Name: Fructus Forsythiae
Botanical Name: Forsythia suspensa (Thunb.) Vahl
Common Name: Forsythia fruit
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used: The green fruit gathered in the period of White Dew (fifteenth solar term) is better than the yellow fruit picked in the period of Cold Dew (seventeenth solar term). The fruit is steamed, dried in the sun, and its seeds separated from the flesh.
Natural Properties & Taste: Bitter and slightly cold
Meridians: Heart, lung and gall bladder
1. To clear heat and release toxins.
2. To relieve carbuncles and disperse nodules.
1. Febrile disease: a) exogenous pathogenic heat at the defensive qi level manifested as headache, fever, thirst and sore throatForsythia fruit (Lianqiao) is used with Arctium fruit (Niubangzi) and Mentha (Bohe). b) exogenous pathogenic heat entering the pericardium manifested as high fever, irritability and loss of consciousnessForsythia fruit (Lianqiao) is used with Rhinoceros horn (Xijiao) and Lotus seed (Lianzi).
2. Boils, carbuncles and furuncles. Forsythia fruit (Lianqiao) is used with Wild chrysanthemum flower (Yejuhua) and Honeysuckle flower (Jinyinhua).
3. Scrofula. Forsythia fruit (Lianqiao) is used with Prunella spike (Xiakucao), Scrophularia (Xuanshen) and Tendrilled fritillary bulb (Chuanbeimu).
Dosage: 6-10 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb is contraindicated during heat in the blood due to deficient yin, diarrhea due to weakness of the spleen.