Wild jujube seed (Suanzaoren)
Pharmaceutical Name: Semen Zizyphi spinosae
Botanical Name: Zizyphus spinosa Hu
Common Name: Wild jujube seed, Zizyphus seed
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used: After the wild jujube ripens in late autumn or early winter, the seeds are collected and dried.
Natural Properties & Taste: Sweet and neutral
Meridians: Heart and liver
• Nourishes and fortifies the heart.
• Tranquilizes and relaxes the mind.
• Replenishes the liver.
• Relieves vexation, insomnia, frightening, severe palpitation, dreaminess and amnesia.
• Stops sweating.
Indications & Combinations:
1. Deficient blood in the heart and liver manifested as irritability, insomnia, palpitations and forgetfulness. Wild jujube seed (Suanzaoren) is used with Chinese angelica root (Danggui), Polygala root (Yuanzhi), White peony root (Baishao), Fleeceflower root (Heshouwu) and Longan aril (Longyanrou).
2. Spontaneous sweating and night sweating due to weakness of the body. Wild jujube seed (Suanzaoren) is used with Schisandra fruit (Wuweizi) and Ginseng (Renshen).
Dosage: 10-18 g