Grossy privet fruit (Nuzhenzi)
Pharmaceutical Name: Fructus Ligustri lucidi
Botanical Name: Ligustrum lucidum Ait.
Common Name: Ligustrum seed, Grossy privet fruit
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used: The ripe fruit is gathered in autumn, then steamed and dried in the sun.
Natural Properties & Taste: Sweet, bitter and cool
Meridians: Liver and kidney
• Invigorates the liver and kidneys.
• Nourishes the hair from the inside out to rejuvenate its texture and shine.
• Promotes visual acuity.
• Tranquilizes the mind by nourishing the heart.
• Relieves mental distress, irritability, frightening, severe palpitation, insomnia, dreaminess and amnesia.
• Lower the level of blood lipid.
1. Deficient yin of the liver and kidneys manifested as early graying of hair, decreased eyesight, dryness of eyes, tinnitus and soreness and weakness of the lower back and knees. Grossy privet fruit (Nuzhenzi) is used with Mulberry (Sangshen), Eclipta (Mohanlian) and Wolfberry fruit (Gouqizi).
2. Deficient yin and heat. Grossy privet fruit (Nuzhenzi) is used with Wolfberry bark (Digupi), Moutan bark (Mudanpi) and Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang).
Dosage: 10-15 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb is contraindicated in cases with diarrhea due to cold and deficiency of the spleen and stomach, or yang deficiency.