Lotus seed (Lianzi)
Pharmaceutical Name: Semen Nelumbinis
Botanical Name: Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.
Common Name: Lotus seed
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used: The lotus seeds are collected from August to September. After the skins of the seeds have been removed, the seeds are dried in the sun.
Natural Properties & Taste: Sweet, astringent and neutral
Meridians: Spleen, kidney and heart
1. To tonify the spleen and stop diarrhea.
2. To reinforce the kidneys and control the essence.
3. To nourish the blood and tranquilize the mind.
1. Palpitations, insomnia and irritability. Lotus seed (Lianzi) is used with Wild jujube seed (Suanzaoren), Arborvitae seed (Baiziren) and Poria with hostwood (Fushen).
2. Kidney deficiency manifested as seminal emissions or leukorrhagia. Lotus seed (Lianzi) is used with Dadder seed (Tusizi), Dioscorea (Shanyao) and Euryale seed (Qianshi).
3. Chronic diarrhea due to deficiency of the spleen. Lotus seed (Lianzi) is used with White atractylodes (Baizhu), Dioscorea (Shanyao) and Poria (Fuling).
Dosage: 6-15 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb is contraindicated in cases with constipation.