Ox gallstone (Niuhuang)
Pharmaceutical Name: Calculus Bovis
Zoological Name: Bos taurus domesticus Gmelin
Common Name: Ox gallstone, Bos calculus
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used: The gallstone of an ox is collected in any season, or the bile of an ox or pig is used instead. After gathering, the material is dried and made into powder or pills.
Natural Properties & Taste: Bitter and cool
Meridians: Liver and heart
1. To clear heat and release toxins.
2. To eliminate endogenous wind and stop convulsions.
3. To resolve phlegm and promote resuscitation.
1. Loss of consciousness and convulsions caused by high fever. Ox gallstone (Niuhuang) is used with Coptis root (Huanglian), Rhinoceros horn (Xijiao) and Musk (Shexiang) in the formula Angong Niuhuang Wan.
2. Sore throat or ulcers and boils due to accumulation of toxic heat. Ox gallstone (Niuhuang) is used with Natural indigo (Qingdai) and Honeysuckle flower (Jinyinhua).
Dosage: 0.2-0.5 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This substance is contraindicated during pregnancy.