Phaseolus seed (Chixiaodou)
Pharmaceutical Name: Semen Phaseoli
Botanical Name: 1. Phaseolus calcaratus Roxb.. 2. Phaseolus angularis Wight
Common Name: Phaseolus seed, Adzuki bean
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used: The seeds are gathered in autumn and dried in the sun.
Natural Properties & Taste: Sweet or sour and neutral
Meridians: Heart and small intestine
1. To promote water metabolism and reduce edema.
2. To relieve jaundice.
3. To dispel toxins and eliminate pus.
1. Edema. Phaseolus seed (Chixiaodou) is used with Imperata rhizome (Baimaogen) and Mulberry bark (Sangbaipi).
2. Edema due to deficiency in spleen or kidneys. Phaseolus seed (Chixiaodou) is cooked with carp to make a soup for drinking.
3. Boils and carbuncles due to toxic heat. The decoction of Phaseolus seed (Chixiaodou) is used externally for washing.
4. Damp-heat jaundice. Phaseolus seed (Chixiaodou) is used with Oriental wormwood (Yinchenhao) and Capejasmine (Zhizi).
Dosage: 10-30 g