Arborvitae seed (Baiziren)
Pharmaceutical Name: Semen Biotae
Botanical Name: Biota orientalis (L.) Endl.
Common Name: Biota seed, Arborvitae seed
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used: The fruit is gathered in autumn. After being shelled and dried in the shade, the seeds are broken into pieces.
Natural Properties & Taste: Sweet and neutral
Meridians: Heart, kidney and large intestine
1. To nourish the blood and tranquilize the mind.
2. To moisten the intestines and move feces.
Indications & Combinations:
1. Deficient blood of the heart manifested as irritability, insomnia, palpitations and anxiety. Arborvitae seed (Baiziren) is used with Wild jujube seed (Suanzaoren) and Schisandra fruit (Wuweizi).
2. Night sweating due to yin deficiency. Arborvitae seed (Baiziren) is used with Ginseng (Renshen), Oyster shell (Muli) and Schisandra fruit (Wuweizi).
3. Constipation due to dryness in the intestines. Arborvitae seed (Baiziren) is used with Apricot seed (Xingren), Bush-cherry seed (Yuliren) and Peach seed (Taoren) in the formula Wuren Wan.
Dosage: 10-18 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb is contraindicated in cases with loose stool or excessive phlegm.