Rubia root (Qiancao)
Pharmceutical Name : Radix Rubiae
Botanical Name: Rubia cordifolia L.
Common Name: Madder root, Rubia root
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used: The roots are dug in spring or autumn, and cleaned and dried in the sun.
Natural Properties & Taste: Bitter and cold
1. To cool blood and stop bleeding.
2. To invigorate blood circulation and release stagnation.
1. Hemorrhages due to extravasation of blood by heat. Rubia root (Qiancao) is used with Japanese thistle (Daji), Small thistle (Xiaoji) and Biota tops (Cebaiye).
2. Amenorrhea caused by blood stagnation. Rubia root (Qiancao) is used with Chinese angelica root (Danggui), Chuanxiong rhizome (Chuanxiong) and Cyperus tuber (Xiangfu).
3. Blood stasis and pain caused by external injuries. Rubia root (Qiancao) is used with Safflower (Honghua), Chinese angelica root (Danggui) and Red peony (Chishao).
4. Wind-damp obstruction syndrome (painful joints). Rubia root (Qiancao) is used with Spatholobus stem (Jixueteng) and Futokadsura stem (Haifengteng).
Dosage: 10-15 g