Schisandra fruit (Wuweizi)
Pharmaceutical Name: Fructus Schisandrae
Botanical Name: 1. Schisandra chinensis (Turcz.) Baill.. 2. Schizandra sphenanthera Rehd. et Wils.
Common Name: Schisandra fruit
Source of Earliest Record: Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used: The ripe fruit is gathered in autumn and dried in the sun.
Natural Properties & Taste: Sour and warm
Meridians: Lung, kidney and heart
1. To astringe the lungs and nourish the kidneys.
2. To promote the production of body fluids and astringe sweat.
3. To restrain the essence and stop diarrhea.
4. To calm the heart and soothe the mind.
Indications & Combinations:
1. Chronic cough and asthma due to rebellion of lung qi caused by deficiency of the lungs and kidneys manifested as cough with scanty sputum and asthma aggravated by slight exertion. Schisandra fruit (Wuweizi) is used with Dogwood fruit (Shanzhuyu), Prepared rehmannia root (Shudihuang) and Ophiopogon root (Maidong) in the formula Baxian Changshou Wan.
2. Deficiency of qi and body fluids manifested as spontaneous sweating, night sweating, thirst, palpitations, shortness of breath and deficient and forceless pulse. Schisandra fruit (Wuweizi) is used with Ginseng (Renshen) and Ophiopogon root (Maidong) in the formula Shengmai San.
3. Diabetes manifested as thirst, preference for excessive fluid intake, shortness of breath, lassitude and deficient and forceless pulse. Schisandra fruit (Wuweizi) is used with Astragalus root (Huangqi), Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang), Ophiopogon root (Maidong) and Trichosanthes root (Tianhuafen) in the formula Huangqi Tang.
4. Seminal emissions and nocturnal emissions caused by deficiency of the kidneys. Schisandra fruit (Wuweizi) is used with Dragon’s bone (Longgu) and Mantis egg case (Sangpiaoxiao).
5. Chronic diarrhea caused by deficiency of the spleen and kidneys. Schisandra fruit (Wuweizi) is used with Nutmeg (Roudoukou) and Evodia fruit (Wuzhuyu) in the formula Sishen Wan.
6. Deficient yin and blood of the heart and kidneys manifested as palpitations, irritability, insomnia, dreamful sleep and forgetfulness. Schisandra fruit (Wuweizi) is used with Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang), Ophiopogon root (Maidong) and Wild jujube seed (Suanzaoren) in the formula Tianwang Buxin Dan.
Dosage: 2-6 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb is contraindicated in the early stage of cough or rubella and in excessive internal heat with unrelieved exterior syndrome.