Silkworm excrement (Cansha)
Pharmaceutical Name: Excrementum Bombycis mori
Zoological Name: Bombys mori L.
Common Name: Silkworm excrement
Source of Earliest Record: Mingyi Bielu
Part Used: Silkworm excrement is collected from June to August, then dried in the sun.
Natural Properties & Taste: Pungent, sweet and warm
Meridians: Liver, spleen and stomach
1. To dispel wind and dampness.
2. To harmonize the stomach and transform dampness.
1. Damp-heat obstruction syndrome. Silkworm excrement (Cansha) is used with Tetrandra root (Fangji), Coix seed (Yiyiren) and Talc (Huashi) in the formula Xuanbi Tang.
2. Eczema. The decoction of the herb is used for external washing.
3. Turbid dampness blocking the spleen and stomach manifested as vomiting, diarrhea, cramps and abdominal pain. Silkworm excrement (Cansha) is used with Scutellaria root (Huangqin), Chaenomeles fruit (Mugua) and Evodia fruit (Wuzhuyu) in the formula Canshi Tang.
Dosage: 5-10 g