Trichosanthes fruit (Gualou)
Pharmaceutical Name: Fructus Trichosanthes
Botanical Name: 1. Trichosanthes kirilowii Maxim.. 2. Trichosanthes rosthornii Harms.
Common Name: Trichosanthes fruit, Snakeground fruit
Source of Earliest Record: Mingyi Bielu
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparation s: The fruit is gathered in autumn and dried in the shade.
Natural Properties & Taste: Sweet and cold
Meridians: Lung, stomach and large intestine
1. To clear heat and resolve phlegm.
2. To moisten dryness and move feces.
3. To regulate qi in the chest and release nodules.
1. Phlegm-heat cough manifested as cough with yellow and thick sputum, stifling sensation in the chest and constipation. Trichosanthes fruit (Gualou) is used with Arisaema tuber with bile (Dannanxing) and Scutellaria root (Huangqin) in the formula Qingqi Huatan Wan.
2. Phlegm, dampness and stagnated blood blocking the chest manifested as stifling sensation and pain in the chest, and chest pain referring to the back of the body. Trichosanthes fruit (Gualou) is used with Macrostem onion (Xiebai) and Pinellia tuber (Banxia) in the formula Gualou Xiebai Banxia Tang.
3. Phlegm and heat accumulating in the chest and epigastric region manifested as fullness and stifling sensation in the chest and epigastric region. Trichosanthes fruit (Gualou) is used with Coptis root (Huanglian) and Pinellia tuber (Banxia) in the formula Xiao Xianxiong Tang.
4. Constipation. Trichosanthes fruit (Gualou) is used with Hemp seed (Huomaren), Bush-cherry seed (Yuliren) and Bitter orange (Zhiqiao).
5. Mastitis (swollen and painful breasts). Trichosanthes fruit (Gualou) is used with Dandelion herb (Pugongying), Frankincense (Ruxiang) and Myrrh (Moyao).
Dosage: 10-20 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb cannot be used with Sichuan aconite root (Wutou), as they counteract each other.