Walnut seed (Hutaoren)
Pharmaceutical Name: Semen Juglandis
Botanical Name: Juglans regia L.
Common Name: Walnut seed, Walnut kernel
Source of Earliest Record: Kaibao Bencao
Part Used: The ripe walnuts are gathered in the period from September to October, dried in the sun and shelled.
Natural Properties & Taste: Sweet and warm
Meridians: Kidney, lung and large intestine
1. To tonify the lungs and kidneys.
2. To moisten the intestines and move feces.
1. Lower back pain and weakness of the legs due to deficient kidneys. Walnut seed (Hutaoren) is used with Eucommia bark (Duzhong) and Psoralea fruit (Buguzhi) in the formula Qing’e Wan.
2. Cough and asthma due to deficient lungs. Walnut seed (Hutaoren) is used with Ginseng (Renshen).
3. Constipation due to dryness in the intestines. Walnut seed (Hutaoren) is used with Hemp seed (Huomaren) and Cistanche (Roucongrong).
Dosage: 10-30 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb is contraindicated in cases with deficiency of yin with excessive fire, cough due to phlegm-heat or diarrhea.