White mustard seed (Baijiezi)
Pharmaceutical Name: Semen Sinapsis seu Brassicae
Botanical Name: 1. Sinapis alba (L.) Boiss.. 2. Brassica Juncea (L.) Czern. et Coss.
Common Name: Brassica seed, White mustard seed
Source of Earliest Record: Mingyi Bielu
Part Used: After the white mustard ripens in summer or autumn, the seeds are gathered and dried in the sun.
Natural Properties & Taste: Pungent and warm
1. To warm the lungs and resolve phlegm.
2. To invigorate qi circulation and disperse nodules.
3. To open the channels and stop pain.
1. Lungs blocked by cold-phlegm manifested as cough with profuse, dilute and white sputum and stifling sensation in the chest. White mustard seed (Baijiezi) is used with Perilla seed (Suzi) and Radish seed (Laifuzi) in the formula Sanzi Yangqing Tang.
2. Retention of phlegm-damp in the chest and diaphragm manifested as distension and pain in the chest and hypochondriac region. White mustard seed (Baijiezi) is used with Kansui root (Gansui) and Peking spurge root (Daji).
3. Channels and collaterals obstructed by phlegm-damp manifested as joint pain and numbness of the limbs. White mustard seed (Baijiezi) is used with Myrrh (Moyao) and Costus root (Muxiang).
4. Yin carbuncles and swellings without discoloration of the skin. White mustard seed (Baijiezi) is used with Antler glue (Lujiaojiao), Cinnamon bark (Rougui) and Prepared rehmannia root (Shudihuang) in the formula Yanghe Tang.
Dosage: 3-10 g
Cautions & Contraindications: This herb is contraindicated in cases with skin allergies.